Part of the “Marriage by the Book” Series
Many couples and small groups read all eight books. However, each book also stands complete by itself. Click on the following links to read about each book:
Book 1: Laying a Solid Foundation
Book 2: Making Christ the Cornerstone
Book 3: Encouraging Your Spouse
Book 4: Extending Grace to Your Mate
Book 5: Talking with Respect and Love
Book 6: Improving Your Teamwork
Book 7: Putting Money in its Place
Book 8: Celebrating Intimacy and Romance
“’Marriage by the Book’ is the best marriage resource I’ve encountered. I really appreciate the approach in ‘Laying a Solid Foundation.’ It deals with foundational issues that help people behave like Christians! (So many books jump into big marriage issues without first laying the groundwork.) We’ve used this book in a small group Bible study and in counseling. ‘Marriage by the Book’ is the best marriage resource I’ve encountered.”
— David Dickinson, Senior Pastor, Hope Evangelical Free Church (Kearney, NE)
“We have had Doug Britton to Bayside many times to teach this material. He is biblical, practical, and his books are easy to use for couples wanting to build a healthy, thriving marriage. I definitely recommend his ‘Marriage by the Book’ series.”
— Ray W. Johnston, Senior Pastor, Bayside Church (Granite Bay, CA)
“When our Life Group studied ‘Laying a Solid Foundation’, the couples really appreciated its practical application questions and the way it prompted open sharing in the group. Everyone was sad when the study came to an end. Even though we were the leaders and already had a strong marriage, this book helped us a lot too!”
— Jef and Shannon Klein, Life Group Leaders, Coastal Life Christian Church (Coronado, CA)
“I have known Doug and his wife for many years. Many relationships in our church have been strengthened and enriched through the use of his ‘Marriage by the Book’ series.”
— Ephraim Williams, Pastor, St. Paul Baptist Church (Sacramento, CA)
How will reading Laying a Solid Foundation help us change?
This book doesn’t just tell you what to do. It shows you how to do it, with:
- Self-assessment quizzes to identify reasons for problems
- “Make it personal” questions throughout the book (with space to write your answers) that help you apply the lessons
- Exercises you and your spouse can do together
- Personal plans to help you grow in six key areas of your marriage
Is Laying a Solid Foundation only for troubled marriages?
Nope. It is for every kind of marriage, great to not-so-great. Whatever your situation, you will find practical insights and tools that will help your marriage flourish and grow.
Is this book for new marriages or long-time marriages?
Its practical, Bible-based advice will strengthen and bless your marriage, whether you are newlyweds or you have been married for decades.
Is this book cross-cultural?
Yes. Since it is based on the Bible, its truths apply to every racial and ethnic group. When you place your order, you can choose a multicultural cover or an African-American cover.
Can we use this marriage book for a small group study?
Yes. Laying a Solid Foundation includes a small group leader’s guide with:
- Tips for leaders
- Step-by-step meeting plan
- Discussion questions for each chapter
What are some topics covered in Laying a Solid Foundation?
In these pages you will discover many Bible-based insights and practical tools. A few examples:
- What it means to be “one flesh”
- Common reasons for marriage problems
- The most important thing to focus on for a great marriage
- The most important thing not to focus on for a great marriage
- Practical and fun marriage-building activities
- How you can apologize without making things worse
- How you can forgive your spouse when you are really hurt
- What the Bible says about commitment and divorce
What if my spouse won’t read this book with me?
It’s ideal if you both read this book. However, if your spouse doesn’t want to join you, don’t say, “I’ll read it, but only if you will.” Instead, learn how to be the best husband or wife possible. God can perform miracles in your personal life—and in your marriage—even if you study on your own.
Is this a good book for pre-marriage mentoring?
Yes. It covers the most important truths couples need to know at the beginning of their journey together.
Why do so many marriages have problems?
That’s a great question. After all, most marriages start out with two people who are certain they can craft a wonderful union. Yet as the years go by, many never experience the passionate, joyful life they expected. After helping approximately 1,000 marriages, Bible-based Marriage and Family Therapist Doug Britton says a key reason is that most people do not know the Bible’s instructions about how to create a great Christian marriage—or they don’t know how to apply the instructions.
Why do readers say they like Laying a Solid Foundation?
- It is practical, cross-cultural, and Bible-based.
- Text is broken into small, easily-digested portions.
- Points are clearly identified with headings, bullets, and check boxes.
- The writing style is direct and straight-forward.
- Real-life stories and examples illustrate key points.
- Each chapter is summarized at the end of the chapter.
- “Make it personal” questions help couples apply the lessons.
- Wire binding makes it easy to write in the book.
Are all marriages in trouble? Of course not, but they are all works in progress. Regardless of your situation, there is hope—the sure hope that comes from God and the truth of his word, the Bible.