Free shipping for orders over $50
Automatic discounts for orders over $50
Laying a Solid Foundation
Book 1 of “Marriage by the Book”
This practical, biblical book is for every kind of marriage—old to young, great to not-so-great. Based on Doug Britton’s experience counseling approximately 1,000 married couples, it will help you:
- Understand God’s picture of marriage.
- Overcome common marriage problems.
- Apologize without groveling.
- Forgive without holding a grudge.
- Understand what commitment is—and isn’t.
- Overcome the one mistake almost every couple makes.
- Throw yourself into your marriage.
Doug Britton, M.Ed., MFT. LifeTree Books. Paperback: 5½ x 8½. Wire “spiral” binding. 176 pages.
“’Marriage by the Book’ is the best marriage resource I’ve encountered. I really appreciate the approach in ‘Laying a Solid Foundation.’ It deals with foundational issues that help people behave like Christians! (So many books jump into big marriage issues without first laying the groundwork.) We’ve used this book in a small group Bible study and in counseling. ‘Marriage by the Book’ is the best marriage resource I’ve encountered.”
Senior Pastor, Hope Evangelical Free Church (Kearney, NE)
“We have had Doug Britton to Bayside many times to teach this material. He is biblical, practical, and his books are easy to use for couples wanting to build a healthy, thriving marriage. I definitely recommend his ‘Marriage by the Book’ series.”
Ray W. Johnston
Senior Pastor, Bayside Church (Granite Bay, CA)
“When our Life Group studied ‘Laying a Solid Foundation’, the couples really appreciated its practical application questions and the way it prompted open sharing in the group. Everyone was sad when the study came to an end. Even though we were the leaders and already had a strong marriage, this book helped us a lot too!”
Jef and Shannon Klein
Life Group Leaders, Coastal Life Christian Church (Coronado, CA)
“I have known Doug and his wife for many years. Many relationships in our church have been strengthened and enriched through the use of his ‘Marriage by the Book’ series.”
Pastor, St. Paul Baptist Church (Sacramento, CA)
How will reading "Laying a Solid Foundation" help us change?
This book doesn’t just tell you what to do. It shows you how to do it, with:
- Self-assessment quizzes to identify reasons for problems
- “Make it personal” questions throughout the book (with space to write your answers) that help you apply the lessons
- Exercises you and your spouse can do together
- Personal plans to help you grow in six key areas of your marriage
Is "Laying a Solid Foundation" only for troubled marriages?
Nope. It is for every kind of marriage, great to not-so-great. Whatever your situation, you will find practical insights and tools that will help your marriage flourish and grow.
Is this book for new marriages or long-time marriages?
Is this book cross-cultural?
Can we use this marriage book for a small group study?
Yes. Laying a Solid Foundation includes a small group leader’s guide with:
- Tips for leaders
- Step-by-step meeting plan
- Discussion questions for each chapter
What are some topics covered in "Laying a Solid Foundation"?
In these pages you will discover many Bible-based insights and practical tools. A few examples:
- What it means to be “one flesh”
- Common reasons for marriage problems
- The most important thing to focus on for a great marriage
- The most important thing not to focus on for a great marriage
- Practical and fun marriage-building activities
- How you can apologize without making things worse
- How you can forgive your spouse when you are really hurt
- What the Bible says about commitment and divorce
What if my spouse won’t read this book with me?
Is this a good book for pre-marriage mentoring?
Why do so many marriages have problems?
Why do readers say they like "Laying a Solid Foundation"?
- It is practical, cross-cultural, and Bible-based.
- Text is broken into small, easily-digested portions.
- Points are clearly identified with headings, bullets, and check boxes.
- The writing style is direct and straight-forward.
- Real-life stories and examples illustrate key points.
- Each chapter is summarized at the end of the chapter.
- “Make it personal” questions help couples apply the lessons.
- Wire binding makes it easy to write in the book.
Are all marriages in trouble? Of course not, but they are all works in progress. Regardless of your situation, there is hope—the sure hope that comes from God and the truth of his word, the Bible.
Part of the “Marriage by the Book” Series
Many couples and small groups read all eight books. However, each book also stands complete by itself. Click on the following links to read about each book: