Free shipping for orders over $50
Automatic discounts for orders over $50
Improving Your Teamwork
Book 6 of “Marriage by the Book”
This practical, biblical book is for every kind of marriage—old to young, great to not-so-great. Based on Doug Britton’s experience counseling approximately 1,000 married couples, it will help you:
- Make God the leader of your home.
- Understand what “submission” means—and doesn’t mean.
- See the difference between dictatorship and servant-leadership.
- Make decisions as a team.
- Practice mutual submission.
- Overcome problems in your teamwork.
Doug Britton, M.Ed., MFT. LifeTree Books. Paperback: 5½ x 8½. Wire “spiral” binding. 202 pages.
“Practical! Practical! Practical! ‘Marriage by the Book’ is for couples who really want a strong marriage. Doug Britton puts the cookies on a shelf where it’s easy to reach them, using the Bible plus simple exercises to do it! I recommend every couple go through this series in a ‘date night’ or in a small group with other couples.”
Ed.D., Pastor of Chaplaincy, Elmbrook Church (Brookfield, WI)
“My pastor asked me to find the best marriage material for our small group marriage ministry. I liked ‘Marriage by the Book’ the most of every resource I reviewed. It is biblically based and practical, reminding you of the simple things you don’t think of every day (such as praying together daily as a couple). Our group has seen really positive results from applying these biblical truths.”
Jeremy and Danielle Milligan
Small Group Leaders, Baptist Temple Church (Reidsville, NC)
“I have known Doug and his wife for many years. Many relationships in our church have been strengthened and enriched through the use of his ‘Marriage by the Book’ series.”
Pastor, St. Paul Baptist Church (Sacramento, CA)
“‘Marriage by the Book’ is a life-changing series that will bring Christ into your marriage. The series will guide you step by step as you wrestle with the right questions, so you can see Christ-centered results. Whether your marriage is healthy and thriving or needing an overhaul…this series will help you. I know this because it’s helped my marriage.”
Lead Pastor, Bayside Church (Citrus Heights, CA)
How will reading "Improving Your Teamwork" help us change?
This book doesn’t just tell you what to do. It shows you how to do it, with:
- Self-assessment quizzes to identify reasons for problems
- “Make it personal” questions throughout the book (with space to write your answers) that help you apply the lessons
- Exercises you and your spouse can do together
- Personal plans to help you grow in six key areas of your marriage
Is "Improving Your Teamwork" only for troubled marriages?
Nope. It is for every kind of marriage, great to not-so-great. Whatever your situation, you will find practical insights and tools that will help your marriage flourish and grow.
Is this book for new marriages or long-time marriages?
Its practical, Bible-based advice will strengthen and bless your marriage, whether you are newlyweds or you have been married for decades.
Is this book cross-cultural?
Yes. Since it is based on the Bible, its truths apply to every racial and ethnic group. When you place your order, you can choose a multicultural cover or an African-American cover.
Can we use this marriage book for a small group study?
Yes. Improving Your Teamwork includes a small group leader’s guide with:
- Tips for leaders
- Step-by-step meeting plan
- Discussion questions for each chapter
What are some topics covered in "Improving Your Teamwork"?
In these pages you will discover many Bible-based insights and practical tools. A few examples:
- God’s role in your marriage
- The importance of mutual submission
- What “submission” means—and what it doesn’t mean
- Understanding the Bible’s roles of husband and wife
- The difference between dictatorship and servant leadership
- How to practice teamwork and make decisions in your daily lives
- How to troubleshoot glitches in your teamwork
What if my spouse won't read this book with me?
It’s ideal if you both read this book. However, if your spouse doesn’t want to join you, don’t say, “I’ll read it, but only if you will.” Instead, learn how to be the best husband or wife possible. God can perform miracles in your personal life—and in your marriage—even if you study on your own.
Why do so many marriages have problems?
That’s a great question. After all, most marriages start out with two people who are certain they can craft a wonderful union. Yet as the years go by, many never experience the passionate, joyful life they expected. After helping approximately 1,000 marriages, Bible-based Marriage and Family Therapist Doug Britton says a key reason is that most people do not know the Bible’s instructions about how to create a great Christian marriage—or they don’t know how to apply the instructions.
Why do readers say they like "Improving Your Teamwork"?
- It is practical, cross-cultural, and Bible-based.
- Text is broken into small, easily-digested portions.
- Points are clearly identified with headings, bullets, and check boxes.
- The writing style is direct and straight-forward.
- Real-life stories and examples illustrate key points.
- “Make it personal” questions help couples apply the lessons.
- Each chapter is summarized at the end of the chapter.
- Wire binding makes it easy to write in the book.
God designed marriage to be a partnership. God’s goal is for married Christian couples to enjoy an intimate unity. Although there are differences in the roles of husband and wife, neither is the “boss” in the way many think. Rather, each seeks to please the other, while gladly acknowledging the leadership of the Holy Spirit.
The Bible defines different roles for husband and wife. Some Christians say, “The husband is the leader, and he makes the decisions. His wife must submit to what he says.” This simplistic idea of headship does not capture God’s big picture.
Other Christians go the opposite direction, looking for ways to discount Scriptures that define the husband’s and wife’s roles. They too miss God’s plan.
The cross-cultural truths in these pages will challenge you. Whether you already have a grasp of basic biblical principles, don’t know what God’s word says about this subject, or are struggling to break free from misinformation, you will discover the freedom that comes from knowing and applying the wisdom in the Bible.
Part of the “Marriage by the Book” Series
Many couples and small groups read all eight books. However, each book also stands complete by itself. Click on the following links to read about each book: