Making Christ the Cornerstone
Doug Britton, M.Ed., MFT
Book 2 of “Marriage by the Book“
This practical, biblical book is for every kind of marriage—old to young, great to not-so-great. Based on Doug Britton’s experience counseling approximately 1,000 married couples, it will help you:
- Understand how your Christian walk affects your life together.
- Set spiritual priorities in your marriage.
- Find ways to make room for Jesus in your daily lives.
- Pray as a couple.
- Learn how your spiritual gifts can work together.
- Strengthen your personal walk with Christ.
Doug Britton, M.Ed., MFT. LifeTree Books. Paperback: 5½ x 8½. Wire “spiral” binding. 158 pages.
Shipping: $3 per book
FREE shipping for orders over $50
Automatic 10% discount on orders over $50
Automatic 20% discount on orders over $100
Part of the “Marriage by the Book” Series
Many couples and small groups read all eight books. However, each book also stands complete by itself. Click on the following links to read about each book:
“There are thousands of marriage books, but so many of them draw upon humanistic ideas instead of the Bible, or they aren’t practical. ‘Marriage by the Book’ stands in a class of its own. These are without question the most practical marriage books I have ever seen.”
Senior Pastor, Capital Christian Center (Sacramento, CA)
“Doug Britton’s ‘Marriage by the Book’ series is the most thoroughly biblical, deeply practical, and user-friendly marriage resource I have seen in thirty years of study and use. These books provide clarity, relevance, and biblicity for self-study, mentoring or small group leadership, and are so well written that lay leaders can use them immediately without having to be experts. They will positively impact your marriage and the marriages of those you lead.”
Family Life Pastor, Fellowship Bible Church (Winchester, VA)
“I am pleased to recommend ‘Marriage by the Book.’ Doug Britton’s experience in counseling married couples—and his commitment to give Scriptural advice—make for books that are both practical and insightful. When so many today are turning to contemporary ideas about marriage, Doug’s commitment to the life-changing relationship principles found in God’s Word is most refreshing.”
Associate Pastor, First Baptist Church (Davis, CA)
“Doug Britton does a great job conveying biblical insights about marriage … The material is precise and easy to read, yet rich with a lot of information. It challenges you to think hard and take a plan of action … Doug’s books go several steps further than most books by giving concrete, real-life examples of what to do and how to do it. This makes it easy to immediately apply the principles he is teaching to my own life.”
What is “Marriage by the Book?”
Making Christ the Cornerstone is book 2 of the eight-book “Marriage by the Book” series.
This eight-book series covers every aspect of marriage. Each book covers a different topic. Although the books are part of a series and build on one another, each book can be studied on its own.
Each book is written by author, speaker, and Bible-based Marriage and Family Therapist Doug Britton.
This book works as three-in-one:
- Book — with practical, Bible-based real-life information.
- Workbook — with quizzes and “Make it personal” questions scattered throughout each chapter.
- Small group leader’s guide — with guidelines for small group leaders and chapter-by-chapter discussion questions at the back of each book.
How will reading “Making Christ the Cornerstone” help us change?
This book doesn’t just tell you what to do. It shows you how to do it, with:
- Self-assessment quizzes to identify reasons for problems
- “Make it personal” questions throughout the book (with space to write your answers) that help you apply the lessons
- Exercises you and your spouse can do together
- Personal plans to help you grow in six key areas of your marriage
Is “Making Christ the Cornerstone” only for troubled marriages?
Nope. It is for every kind of marriage, great to not-so-great. Whatever your situation, you will find practical insights and tools that will help your marriage flourish and grow.
Is this book for new marriages or long-time marriages?
Its practical, Bible-based advice will strengthen and bless your marriage, whether you are newlyweds or you have been married for decades.
Is this book cross-cultural?
Yes. Since it is based on the Bible, its truths apply to every racial and ethnic group. When you place your order, you can choose a multicultural cover or an African-American cover.
Can we use this marriage book for a small group study?
Yes. Making Christ the Cornerstone includes a small group leader’s guide with:
- Tips for leaders
- Step-by-step meeting plan
- Discussion questions for each chapter
What are some topics covered in “Making Christ the Cornerstone”?
In these pages you will discover many Bible-based insights and practical tools. A few examples:
- How your Christian walk affects your life together
- How to set spiritual priorities in your marriage
- Key ways to connect with God daily as a couple
- Practical ways to make room for Jesus in your daily lives
- How your individual spiritual gifts can work together
- How to tune up your personal walk with Christ
What if my spouse won’t read this book with me?
It’s ideal if you both read this book. However, if your spouse doesn’t want to join you, don’t say, “I’ll read it, but only if you will.” Instead, learn how to be the best husband or wife possible. God can perform miracles in your personal life—and in your marriage—even if you study on your own.
Why do so many marriages have problems?
That’s a great question. After all, most marriages start out with two people who are certain they can craft a wonderful union. Yet as the years go by, many never experience the passionate, joyful life they expected. After helping approximately 1,000 marriages, Bible-based Marriage and Family Therapist Doug Britton says a key reason is that most people do not know the Bible’s instructions about how to create a great Christian marriage—or they don’t know how to apply the instructions.
Why do readers say they like “Making Christ the Cornerstone”?
- It is practical, cross-cultural, and Bible-based.
- Text is broken into small, easily-digested portions.
- Points are clearly identified with headings, bullets, and check boxes.
- The writing style is direct and straight-forward.
- Real-life stories and examples illustrate key points.
- “Make it personal” questions help them apply what they read.
- Each chapter is summarized at the end of the chapter.
- Wire binding makes it easy to write in the book.
Bible verses for Christian marriages
Making Christ the Cornerstone provides practical, biblical tools that will help you put the following verses into practice:
Isaac prayed to the LORD on behalf of his wife, because she was barren. The LORD answered his prayer, and his wife Rebekah became pregnant. (Genesis 25:21)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain. (Psalm 127:1)
Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. (Joshua 1:8)
For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them. (Matthew 18:20)
Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. (Mark 12:30)
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word. (Ephesians 5:26)
Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. (Colossians 4:2)
Finally, brothers, we instructed you how to live in order to please God, as in fact you are living. Now we ask you and urge you in the Lord Jesus to do this more and more. (1 Thessalonians 4:1)
Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. (1 Thessalonians 5:11)
But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. (1 Peter 2:9)