Doug Britton, M.Ed., MFT
Overcome the major temptations in your life. Based on Doug Britton’s experience counseling thousands of people, this practical, Bible-based book will help you:
- Move from trying harder to enjoying genuine self-control.
- Break free from life-long sin patterns.
- Make realistic plans to defeat temptation.
- Replace bad habits with good ones.
- Make personal boundaries.
- Learn from failure and move forward.
Paperback: Wire “spiral” binding. 248 pages.
Out of print. An updated and revised version will be available late 2020.
Out of stock
FREE shipping for orders over $50
Automatic 10% discount on orders over $50
Automatic 20% discount on orders over $100
“This book has been well received and highly embraced by both men and women at Capital Christian Center. I highly recommend it for anyone desiring to overcome temptation and gain self-control in any area of their lives. It is totally Bible-based with practical guidelines that work!”
Pastor, Women’s Ministries, Capital Christian Center (Sacramento, CA)
“’Defeating Temptation’ helps pastors and others deal with—and overcome—any underlying issues, and it provides practical, biblical tools to help them overcome temptation and walk in purity. I heartily recommend this invaluable resource.”
Superintendent, Assemblies of God (Northern California/Nevada)
“If you want to live a victorious Christian life, read Doug Britton’s ‘Defeating Temptation.’ It covers everything, from preventive steps to spiritual warfare to practical steps to seek God’s help. The format and structure have made it a great resource for my sermon preparation, Bible studies, and personal life.”
Associate Pastor, First Baptist Church (Benson, AZ)
“I have used ‘Defeating Temptation’ in a men’s weekly Bible study and as a resource for a sermon series on the temptation of Jesus. I really like its specific, biblical advice and practical worksheets. (The men enjoyed the study. They kept coming back for a year!)”
Marvin E. Barbee
Senior Pastor, First Assembly of God (Clearlake, CA)
How will reading “Defeating Temptation” help me change?
This book doesn’t just tell you what to do. It shows you how to do it, with:
- Self-assessment quizzes to identify reasons for problems
- “Make it personal” questions throughout the book (with space to write your answers) that help you apply the lessons
- Exercises that help you overcome temptation and sin
- Personal plans that help you change
Is this book cross-cultural?
Yes. Since it is based on the Bible, its truths apply to every racial and ethnic group.
Can I use this book for a small group study?
Yes. Defeating Temptation includes a small group leader’s guide with:
- Tips for leaders
- Step-by-step meeting plan
- Discussion questions for each chapter
What are some topics covered in “Defeating Temptation”?
In these pages you will discover many Bible-based insights and practical tools. A few examples:
- Moving from trying harder to enjoying genuine self-control
- Learning how to break free from sin’s grip
- How to make realistic plans to defeat temptation
- When—and how—to establish personal boundaries
- How to replace bad habits with good ones
- How to learn from failure and move forward
Why do readers say they like “Defeating Temptation”?
- It is practical, cross-cultural, and Bible-based.
- Text is broken into small, easily-digested portions.
- Points are clearly identified with headings, bullets, and check boxes.
- The writing style is direct and straight-forward.
- “Make it personal” questions help readers apply the lessons.
- Wire binding makes it easy to write in the book.
If you struggle with temptation, you aren’t alone. Since you are human, you are tempted to do things that are bad for you. You may be an alcoholic, be “addicted” to the Internet, watch or read pornography, gossip, gamble, waste time, shoplift, flirt, tell lies, watch too much TV, smoke, overspend, overeat, cheat on income taxes, engage in sexual sins, struggle with drug abuse, explode in anger, or suffer from other “addictions.” Whether your temptations are “minor” or life-dominating, one thing is certain—you have them.
You already know how hard it is to resist temptation. It’s not easy to live a life of self-control. You know how discouraging it can be to give in to temptation again and again.
You can defeat temptation if you know how to fight. If you have pleaded for years for God’s help without growing in self-control, your problem may not be a lack of prayer, but rather not knowing how to resist temptation. As you study this practical, Bible-based book, you will discover that you can grow in self-discipline and experience the joy that comes from victory over sin.
The struggle against sin is not hopeless. As you read this practical, cross-cultural book, you will see that the Bible provides insights and practical tools to help you overcome the major sins in your life—and many of the “minor” sins as well. Even if your life has seemed completely without self-discipline, you can change with God’s help.
No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it. (1 Corinthians 10:13)