We can turn to God for the ultimate parenting advice
If you have read many books about parenting, you may feel hopelessly confused by the numerous conflicting theories. To make it worse, you may have noticed that every few years someone comes up with a new idea that criticizes most of what you read before. It’s hard to know what to believe.
Yet there is a dependable source to which we can go, one proven trustworthy and constant throughout history — the Bible.
The Bible covers it all, including love, communication, forgiveness, and discipline. God invented the family. He knows how to make it work. That’s why Parenting Foundations goes to the Bible and shows how you can apply its ageless truths to bring up children who know God’s word and are obedient, respectful, loving, happy, and creative.
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
This Christian parenting book gives Bible-based advice that works. In these pages, Marriage and Family Therapist Doug Britton shares practical, biblical guidelines that will help you nurture with insight and discipline with love.
Who is Parenting Foundations for?
This book is written for parents of children from one to eighteen years of age. Its practical, biblical insights help:
- Married parents
- Single parents
- Traditional nuclear families
- Blended families
- Parents of children who are doing well
- Parents of children who are doing poorly
Discover practical, biblical ways to:
- Create a loving home. Create a positive environment — Encourage, support, and nurture your children.
- Center your home in Christ. Help your children know God’s love, and introduce them to Jesus.
- Communicate with respect and love. Actively listen to your children. Use communication tools that work.
- Teach with insight. Make each day a learning adventure.
- Exercise authority. Take a position of authority, but slowly give your children more decision-making authority as they grow older.
- Discipline wisely. Discipline or chastise in love, not anger.
Each chapter is interactive
The “personal application” questions in each chapter help parents identify changes they want to make. They also help parents write their plans to achieve these goals.
The book is detailed, yet easy to read and practical.
Parenting Foundations is ideal for small groups and parenting classes
Parenting Foundations can be studied by individuals, parents, or small groups. It is ideal for a six-week study. It includes suggestions for small group leaders, a recommended meeting plan, and discussion questions for each chapter.
This book is part of the “Successful Christian Parenting” series
You can read this book on its own. However, you may be interested in also reading the second book in this series Preparing Your Child for Life. In this book, you will read how to build on what you learn in Parenting Foundations. Topics include:
- Cultivating character
- Encouraging responsibility
- Encouraging responsible decision-making
- Helping your child thrive in a non-Christian culture
- Preparing for dating, marriage, and sex